Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What I've learned..

In the past couple of years, I've learned a lot of things. 

I've learned that nothing and no one will ever get you through the hardships in your life, but God. I've always been the kind of person who can't really let go and move on so easily, but rather hold on to things. Strangely enough though, when I went through the worst period of my life a few years back, I managed to get through it in a very insignificant amount of time. How, you ask me? Cuz when I decided that I wanted to get out of it once and for all, I got down on my knees and prayed to God for help. I wanted to get over it with all my heart. And one day, my prayers were answered. One day, I stopped crying. One day, I woke up with a reason to live. One day, I woke up to find him in my life. And it was God, who answered my prayers.. and got me through it. 

I've learned that no matter how hard you try to analyze things, coming up with numerous explanations, whether logical or not, the one explanation that hadn't crossed your mind, is the one explanation that's most likely to be true. 

I've learned that to be able to get through life, you should treat people the same way they treat you. If they're good to you and treat you right, be good to them and treat them right. While on the contrary, if they make you feel bad about yourself, the sooner you cut them out of your life, the better. Saves you the heartache they'd eventually cause. 

I've learned that instead of dwelling over the past and regretting the mistakes you've made, you should learn from them. Redeem yourself, for mistakes are the tools that shape us and turn us into the people we are today. 

I've learned that some things are not always what they seem. I've also learned that some things, are exactly.. what they seem.

I've learned what it's like to be surrounded with true friends. 

Some that I've known my whole life and have only gotten close to in the past couple of years:

Layan, with her beautiful soul, her pure white heart and her unique kindness. She's the kind of person you can always, and I mean ALWAYS count on. The kind of person who would always be there for you, the kind of person who trusts and believes everyone, not cuz she’s stupid, or cuz she's naive, but because she chooses to see the good side in everyone around her. Because she chooses to give people the benefit of the doubt. She’s the kind of person that loves and gives unconditionally, without expecting anything in return; the kind of person who would do anything in her power to make the people around her happy, cuz that’s all that matters to her. That's all that makes her happy. 

Jana (a.k.a. Islander), whom I've become close to mostly in the past 4 or 5 months. We've been friends for a very long time and have always been part of the same group, but never really gotten as close as we have in the past few months. Her ability to constantly nag never fails to amaze me, how one person could 7in this much, I'll never understand. And unfortunately I picked it up as soon as she left to continue her studies abroad, but that's not all she's about. I've discovered that beneath the surface, lies a person who's been hurting silently cuz of something that happened to her not so long ago, something that broke her, but she still managed to rise up and glue the pieces back together, though I know that she'll never be the person she was before it happened. I've discovered someone so forgiving, that I can honestly say she's one of the few people I've ever known who manages to forgive and actually forget. Someone who's strong enough to withstand whatever life throws at her, and smile. 

Marwa, who's famous for her ditching, but still, a person who would leave everything and be there with you in the blink of an eye in your time of need. I'm grateful for everything she's ever done for me, for being there for me and for sticking by my side when I needed her the most. For trying to understand me, even though no one really does. For staying up all night trying to cheer me up and make me laugh by making fun of Layan (sorry Layan bs you already know this y3ni) or by planning things and creating different scenarios and visualizing what could possibly happen in each one of them. I'm grateful for the fact the she trusted me with her deepest, darkest secrets. I'm grateful for her support, for pulling me out of the dark cage I tend to lock myself in whenever I break down, and for helping me get back up on my feet again.

Fara7, the logical one. The closest person to actually figuring me out. I've been friends with her for over 9 years now and we've been through so many ups and downs together. Our friendship has been tested more than once, but it still managed to survive it all. She's my stable ground, the one person who can pull me back to reality and manage to keep me sane; the one person who never runs out of advices to give, or words to say. She's a realist, and I love her for that. 

Some that I've only gotten to know better recently:

Dalal (a.k.a Change), my dark and gloomy friend, who listens to all my random te7el6em about everything, who was there for me in some of my worst times, who never judged the damaged person that I am and tolerated me at times when I couldn't tolerate myself

And some that I've gotten to know throughout my college years:

Him, with his charming personality. He "quoting Islander" managed to pull me out of the gutter with his warm smile and back into the human world. He gave me back some of the hope that I'd lost, proving to me that there are still some decent guys left out there. He cared about me endlessly, and so did I. He respected me, trusted me and most of all; he made me feel good about myself by seeing the best in me. And although today, we each go our separate paths, I'll always cherish every moment that I spent with him, every memory we shared, all the laughs and all the smiles that will forever be imprinted in my heart.

Throughout my life, I've encountered different types of people, the good and the bad, but in the past couple of years, most of the ones that I've gotten to know are the ones who have had the biggest impact on my life. They're the ones I pray to God that I'll be surrounded with in the future. In my best days and in my worst days. The ones that are truly worth holding on to.

In the past couple of years, I've learned a lot of things. 

In the future, I hope that I’ll learn even more. 
------------------------

This post is dedicated to my friends. I'm not sure if they'll ever read it, but I woke up today feeling a tremendous amount of love towards everyone around me, which lately, has been very rare to me. So I decided to share the love while it lasts, knowing that tomorrow it's all gonna pass and I'll be back to normal. (I joke!)

Haha, my fellow bloggers, amooot 3alaikum ;**

11 comments:

Pearla said...

once i saw that u updated your blog i was like Yay tkmelat
elge9a,, btw if you think in any way that my comments like y7znook or whatever please tell me , i'm just writing what i think and a5af what i think could be out of line, elzbda just tell me ;*
and your post i really liked it, ino its nice from time to time to like show your love to your friends , and what caught my eye is that kl w7da fehm reminded me of my friends and i see myself in klw7da feehm..
its great to have great friends around you,seriously life won't be worth livig without them ..
and the ones who treat you bad, unfortunately i've met alot of them in my life and 9dg y2thron fek if u cared about them !! bs in the bright side b3dha tet3lmeen who to let in and who to let out ..

b9ra7a my Uni years really showed me who are my true friends and who will always be there for me , yes in9damt and i got heart-broken bs life must go on, ino why should i care if the other person doesn't care 9a7 ?..

and missy your post here just made me msg my dearest friend of all time lol i miss her !!

7beeebtyy inty Gutter ;*
ana amooot 3leeeek akthar ;*
us your fellow bloggers are always here for you :x MWAUH ..
LOVE YOU

Gutter Flower said...

ya 7ayati inty ya Pearlity!! mn 9ijich? i absolutely LOVE ur comments! bel3ax!! they make me smile walla.. klish not out of line bel3ax.. the reason i have this blog is kz i want to know what u guys think.. not just ur opinion abt my writing or whatever.. bs abt the story y3ni.. oo inty ur comments bel that wayed a7ib i read them.. like i told u b4 a7isich really interested and want things to work out.. though when it comes down to it.. kila eb yad Allah.. bs rayech ehimny 9adgeeny..

im glad u liked my post.. im not really good with showing my emotions.. that part of me died long ago.. fa the fact that i posted this is huge.. y3ni if my friends read it byn9admon.. kz i hardly show it..

im glad it reminded u of ur friends.. oo u sent ur best friend a msg! anasa!

i looooooooooooove u mooooooooore wallaaa.. thahab intay! ;*

Pearla said...

Really ? i'm flattered :D awww thaank u ;* i'm really glad they make u smile ,, 7beebty inty !!

and i feel you,not showing your emotions ! i'm like that with my closest cousins and like ahle bshkl 3am ino mdre i don't know how to show them how much i really love them and care about them .. maybe 3shan i'm the only girl in my family o kelah boys ? mdre lol ..

bs YAY your friends are gonna love this :D just wait for it,, ana ma
9dagt 3ala rabe o 3ala 6ol i commented :| lol

Naseem said...

you made me CRY you idiot!

icon said...

This post has a soul!

Wafa J said...

Awh, this was such a heart-warming post. Life is a really complicated journey, but friends are what make it worthwile. There couldn't be a saying truer than 'All we need is love'

If you have the ability to give love and take love, I honestly believe you have lived a great life.

I could relate to every little thing you said in here, I tend to get really annoyed at my friends at times but at the same time, I don't know what I'd do without them.

'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference'

I've been feeling really thankful for everything and everyone around me too, lately. I think a new era is dawning upon us, maybe we're not such a morbid world after all ;p

Your one of those few people who have the ability to take all those feelings some of us have no clue how to explain and put them into words, Thank you for that :*

xoxo

Hala said...

ZAGA
I love you my twin.. remeber that Economics prefessor that used to tell me half the story and then tell you the other half thinking we were the same person, i loved you then, and i love your fucked up self more and more everyday.

it was funny reading all about your friends, i love how you guys watch out for each other, a7la shay when Layan wanted to deposit you 3end Marwa because she wouldn't trust you staying at home alone and not self destruct..!!

"la 3ashan Marwa ta5thich" kint bamoot min el'6i7ik.. ehhehe wallah she's so cute..
you're all cute.. :**

Dazzlin said...

This post was filled with so much love towards your friends I LOVE IT.. You guys are lucky to have each other o Alla y5leekum ilba3'6 inshalla..

Friends are the one ingredient you need in life which helps you get through it.. Although you have your family sometimes you need the comfort or advice from someone you trust who isn't a member of you immediate family.. Thats where your dear friends come in.. Life comes with its ups and downs but the friends help you get through it smoothly..

You made me think of all the times my friends were there for me and I for them.. The happy memories we shared as well as the difficult and sad ones.. And even though not all my ties stayed strong with some, others grew stronger and new ones formed..

You find out the true friends when the hardships of life come knocking on your door.. Its sad that you lose some but at least now you know who will always be there for you no matter what the situation is..

Thank you for this post it really made me value the friends I have now.. Love ya daaaaahling :****

Lilo said...

I loved this post :* Wayid it put things into perspective ya3ni, very powerful in so many waaays, it felt like a hug walla lol I kept smiling through it! Allah ikhaleekum 7ag ba3ath inshalla, so touching walla the things you wrote about them all *hugs you* 7adda can you feel the love in here? *giggles* Love you!!:*

M said...

you're lucky to have such great friends.. allah y5aleekum 7ag ba3a'6..
love you :**

In The Right Place said...

awwww cuuuuuuute! allah e5aleehum lach! this post touched me oo ana may5i9ny, i cant imagine how your friends felt.
and thanks to this post, i just called my bestest closest friend and told her i loved her for no reason hehe